Up
Ansley Hall
Arbury Hall
Arbury Hall 2
Astley Castle
Attleborough Hall
Bosworth Hall
Caldecote Hall
Caldwell Hall
Camp Hill Hall
The Chase
Corley Hall
Fillongley Hall
Griff House
Hartshill Castle
Haunchwood House
Higham Hall
Hinckley Castle
Horestone Grange
King Edward VI School
The King's Lodge
Lindley Hall
Manor Court
Maxstoke Castle
Merevale Hall
Nuneaton Hall
Nuneaton Priory
Odstone Hall
Oldbury Hall
Old Grammar School
The Old Vicarage
St Nicolas Church
Sudeley Castle
Tamworth Castle
Tuttle Hill Windmill
Weston Hall
Witherley Hall

Follow weddcastle on Twitter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WEDDINGTON CASTLE - An Online History


Other Halls and Castles Around Nuneaton - Bosworth Hall

Click on thumbnail for larger image. Scroll down for the history of this building.

A panoramic bird's eye view of Bosworth Hall, Leicestershire, looking north-east (oil on canvas, 87.6 x 183.5 cm)

1725-1730

Bosworth Hall in 1906

Hand-coloured copper engraving entitled 'Bosworth Hall, the Seat of Sir Wolstan Dixie, Bar.'

Engraved by Walker after Throsby. 1791.

Lithograph in colours, portrait of Lady Florence Dixie (18571905), maiden name Lady Florence Douglas.

Illustration from Vanity Fair magazine of London dated January 5th, 1884. By Théobald Chartran (1849-1907)

 

Bosworth Hall Hotel today

2008

Aerial view of Bosworth Hall Hotel today

2008

Location map of Bosworth Hall Hotel today

2008

Bosworth Hall is an historic country house in the rural town of Market Bosworth in Leicestershire, England, now known as the Bosworth Hall Hotel. It was the country seat of the Dixie family (Baronets of Bosworth) for nearly three hundred years. Since the 1980s the house has had several owners and is now a hotel.

Britannia Hotels mistakenly advertise their Bosworth Hall Hotel as being in Warwickshire, an error which may be caused by the hotel having a Coventry postcode.

History
 

Bosworth Hall is a former stately home which belonged to the once wealthy Dixie family, whose strong connections with Market Bosworth date back to the 12th century. At the time of the Restoration of King Charles II in 1660, the head of the family was created a Baronet, of Bosworth, a title which became extinct with the death of Sir Wolstan Dixie, 13th and last Baronet, in 1975.


The parkland of the present house was bought by Sir Wolstan Dixie, Lord Mayor of London, in 1589, and the main house was built during the reign of William and Mary by his brother's descendant Sir Beaumont Dixie, 2nd Baronet, who had inherited the estate in 1682. The Dixie family fortune was lost in the 19th century, and the house and estate were sold in the 1880s to pay gambling debts.


The last Dixie of Bosworth Hall, Sir Alexander Beaumont Churchill Dixie, 11th Baronet (1851-1924), who was known as "Sir A.B.C.D." or "Beau", was High Sheriff of Leicestershire for 1876.[2] In 1875, he married Lady Florence Dixie (1855-1905), who in her lifetime was well-known as a writer, feminist, big game hunter, war correspondent, and suffragette. While still living at Bosworth she wrote the best-seller Across Patagonia (1880). She was a sister of the Marquess of Queensberry who gave his name to the Marquess of Queensberry rules and an aunt of Oscar Wilde's close friend Lord Alfred Douglas.[3] Sir Alexander and Lady Florence left Bosworth in the early 1880s and went to live on Lord Queensberry's estate in Scotland. However, the Dixies maintained connections with Bosworth, serving as governors of its Grammar school, and the 13th and last Baronet had a home in Bosworth Park at the time of his death in 1975.


The Bosworth estate was purchased in 1885 by Charles Tollemache Scott, who made numerous improvements to the building and added his initials to some of the iron guttering, which can still be seen to this day. Among other changes Tollemache Scott made, the cellar gates were replaced with cell doors from the Newgate Prison in London. The gate is still there to this present day, and is situated at the entrance to the Newgate bar.


Tollemache Scott's daughter, Wenefryde, sold the Bosworth Hall estate in 1913. It changed hands twice more before being sold to Leicestershire County Council in 1931. It became a hospital, which it remained until the 1980s.

Conversion into hotel


After the hospital at Bosworth Hall was closed, the property was bought by a construction firm for conversion into a hotel. Although the firm went bankrupt, the conversion was completed by the Britannia hotel chain, which bought the property.


The present hotel boasts 192 en-suite bedrooms, a health and leisure club known as Spindles, Jenny's Carvery restaurant, Cromptons fine dining restaurant and the Courtyard Bar. The hotel also has conference and banqueting facilities for a range of functions from weddings to corporate seminars, and is managed by Rachael Hand.

 

Full details of the current hotel can be found at: www.hotelbosworthhall.co.uk

 


 

Return to top of page

Return to Weddington Castle