Other Halls and Castles Around Nuneaton - Lindley Hall
Click on thumbnail for larger image. Scroll to bottom of page for brief historical details of this building
The fine Palladian mansion of Lindley Hall
once stood in the lush Leicestershire/Warwickshire borderlands near to the
Watling Street (A5). Samuel Bracebridge completed it in 1705, with additions
made in 1774. on the site of a much older moated house. The drive which led to
it was half a mile long from the Watling Street. The hall was set in 94 acres of
beautiful parkland and pastures and also in the grounds was an ancient chapel
erected in 1444. Lindley was a small historic country estate, which included the
village of Fenny Drayton (known as the birthplace of George Fox, founder of the
Quaker movement, in 1634), the Royal Red Gate Inn and several small farms.
Following the demolition an aerodrome was built at Lindley in the Second World War. Later, on 22nd May 1954, the Motor Industries Research Association (MIRA) opened their car proving ground on the site. The MIRA site remains to the present day, and its lands now encompass a large stretch of the former Weddington Railway line, now a nature walk (although MIRA's part remains closed to the public). The wartime hangar and several other buildings on the tech site are in perfect condition and in use by MIRA. The control tower too is in good condition and is used as an observation and control centre for the testing tracks, which use nearly all of the perimeter track and runways.
Historical text (c) Peter Lee 2003 and 2008